Among the whole variety of methods for lengthening nails and correcting their shape, a huge number of customers choose gel nail extensions. Indeed, after this procedure, the nails look natural, have a wonderful shine and smoothness, and are also quite strong and durable.
What is gel nail extension?
This type of extension is carried out using a special material — cosmetic gel. The gel hardens under the influence of ultraviolet radiation, forming a hard and durable layer, after the necessary processing, it is very reminiscent of a natural human nail plate.
Gel nail extension can be performed both on tips and on forms (the difference between these methods can be found in the article “All about nail extensions”). Also, the gel is suitable for covering, masking irregularities and strengthening your own nails. In this case, the gel solution is simply applied to the nail plate without increasing the length. After application, the nail becomes smooth, shiny and durable.
The gels used for extensions vary in composition. The most popular and modern type of gel is «living polymer» or, as it is also called, «non-stick gel». This material requires minimal processing, since after hardening it has a very smooth surface. In addition, modern gels allow the nail to “breathe”, allow minimal moisture penetration, which allows you to fully maintain the health of the nail plate with a long period of extension.
gel nail extension procedure
Gel nail extension involves four main stages. Depending on the desired result and the condition of your own nails, the procedure takes approximately 2-3 hours (including coverage).
At the first stage, the master carefully prepares the nail for the procedure. To do this, the excess part of the nail is removed, the surface is polished. The nail plate is covered with a special agent that destroys the natural greasy film. This action is necessary for better adhesion of the gel to the surface of the nail.
At the second stage, the master applies the gel (on tips, forms or the own surface of the nail). Next, models the length and shape of the nail. Since the gel hardens only under ultraviolet radiation, there is enough time for modeling, the work is accurate and of high quality. The final step of this stage is the irradiation of nails with ultraviolet rays in a special lamp.
At the third stage, the master finally forms the nail — corrects the shape, cuts off the excess, polishes the surface. Also at this stage, a mechanical manicure is most often performed to give a neat look to the cuticle and periungual areas.
The last stage is not mandatory, since it is not an integral step in gel nail extension, but as practice shows, 99% of clients resort to it. At the fourth stage, the master applies a coating (colored varnish or pattern) to the surface of the finished nail.
Advantages of the procedure
Gel nail extension is a very popular procedure, as it has many advantages compared to other extension methods. The main ones are:
The gel looks natural and in its structure is as similar as possible to the natural nail plate.
- The gel does not require particularly careful processing, as it has a “self-leveling” property — after hardening, the surface of the nail is even and smooth
- The gel hardens only after ultraviolet irradiation, which means that the master has enough time to give the nails an ideal shape.
- The gel practically does not cause allergic reactions and irritations.
- The gel allows the nails to breathe, allows moisture to pass through and does not interfere with the natural processes in the nail tissue.
- The gel allows you to use various extension methods (tips, forms, etc.)
- The ability to initially lay a drawing (French manicure, etc.)
Unfortunately, gel nail extensions, in addition to their advantages, also have a number of disadvantages. Before you go to the salon, analyze them:
- The gel very rarely lays down in a thin layer, which means that the nails will be very dense.
- The gel is not elastic and is afraid of direct blows (it cracks)
- If the nail is broken, then it will have to be completely replaced (correction is not possible)
- Gel extension is not suitable for people with very thin nail plates, because. when heated under a lamp, the gel quickly “gains” temperature and the likelihood of burns increases
Also, before gel nail extension, all contraindications to this procedure should be analyzed.
Let your nails be beautiful!
Author: Natalia Kay
Article protected by copyright and related rights. When using and reprinting the material, an active link to the healthy lifestyle portal hnb.com.ua is required!