Stretching exercises for the groin and legs in the prone position
Performing these exercises to stretch the groin and legs will not require much effort from you, as they are performed in a prone position.
All that is required of you is to find a place against a wall or a doorway so that you can lie on your back in a relaxed state with your legs up.
This exercise is a great way to stretch your groin muscles.
1. Starting position (See the picture): it is necessary to lie directly in front of the wall on your back, so that the distance from the buttocks to the wall is about 10-15 cm. Then lift up the legs brought together, leaning on the wall, and press the lower back to the floor.
2. Slowly, without lifting your heels from the wall, spread your legs apart until you feel tension in the groin area (See figure). Hold the stretch for about 30 seconds, then relax.
It is important:
While doing the exercise, do not hold your breath, on the contrary, breathe deeply and rhythmically.
Try not to overexert yourself while doing this exercise. Over time, the flexibility and mobility of the muscles will improve, and you will be able to increase the amplitude of the spread of the legs to the sides (See figure).
Do not ignore the warning about the distance between the wall and the buttocks, as by sitting too close, you thereby significantly increase the load on the lower back.
1. Starting position: lying against the wall. The distance between the buttocks and the wall is about 10-15cm
2. Bend your legs and bring the soles of your feet together so that they rest against the wall. Relax and under the influence of gravity, your legs will move apart on their own until you feel tension in the groin area. Stay in this position for about 30 seconds, while feeling how the tension gradually decreases.
It is important:
To increase the load, apply gentle pressure with your hands on the inside of the thighs (See figure).
To accentuate the load on one side of the groin separately, simply straighten the corresponding leg and stay in this position for about 10-15 seconds (See picture).
Also in this position, you can stretch the muscles of the neck.
1. Starting position: lying on your back with straightened legs, leaning against the wall.
2. Now interlock your fingers at the back of your head and gently, applying pressure with your hands, raise your head up until you feel a stretch in the neck. Hold the stretch for about 5 seconds, then relax.
3. Perform the exercise 2-3 times.
Stretching the back of the thigh
The following exercise is a great way to stretch the hamstring muscles.
1. Starting position: lying on your back next to the door jamb. Lift one leg up so that it rests on the door frame, and place the other on the floor (See picture).
2. Slowly move your torso towards the doorway until you feel tension in the back of your thigh (See Figure #1). Hold the stretch for about 10-15 seconds.
3. Then repeat the exercise for the other leg.
It is important:
If, at the time of the exercise, pull the fingers of the raised leg towards you, then you can stretch not only the thigh muscles, but also the calf muscle (See Figure No. 2).
Author: Alexander Kuznetsov based on the book Stretching for Everyone by Bob and Jill Anderson
Article protected by copyright and related rights. When using and reprinting the material, an active link to the healthy lifestyle portal hnb.com.ua is required!