How to speed up metabolism?
Often the problem of losing weight lies precisely in the plane of metabolism or, in a scientific way, metabolism, and more precisely, it directly depends on its speed.
What is metabolism?
Any living organism is a small laboratory in which biochemical reactions are constantly taking place with the absorption or release of heat (energy). Heartbeat, digestion of food, maintaining a constant body temperature, any mental or physical work, and many other processes in the body require constant energy supply. In turn, the food that enters the body is the main source for replenishing energy. And the totality of all processes of transformation of chemicals in the body, with the absorption or release of energy, is called metabolism, or metabolism.
The metabolic rate is a parameter that determines the body’s ability to expend energy for its needs. Let’s explain with an elementary example: other things being equal, in a person with a lower metabolic rate, excess unused energy will be deposited in the form of body fat. Therefore, in order for excess weight not to become a problem, this person needs to either reduce his diet or somehow speed up the metabolism in the body.
Actually, we will consider the second option in more detail.
Ways to speed up metabolism
Sports and physical activity
- Build muscle mass. Fact: One kilogram of muscle tissue burns 70 to 100 kcal per day, while a kilogram of fat burns 10 to 20 kcal. Muscle is the best way to boost your metabolism, and strength training is the best way to get it.
- Be active. Running, swimming, walking and just active pastime speed up the metabolic processes in the body and allow you to burn excess calories. The only prerequisite: regularity.
- Go in for sports in the evenings. Metabolism naturally declines towards the end of the day, and evening training will extend the active period for a few more hours. Warning: finish your workout at least 3 hours before bedtime, otherwise you will find it difficult to fall asleep.
- Don’t diet. Any diet based on limiting the amount of food leads to the fact that the body begins to «save» energy by slowing down the metabolism. As a result, after returning to a normal diet, you will not only regain the lost weight, but also most likely gain excess due to a slowed metabolism.
- Fractional nutrition. Increase the number of meals by reducing portion sizes. So you will not feel the feeling of hunger, which, as you know, slows down the metabolism.
- Reduce your intake of high glycemic foods. This point is the cornerstone principle of the Montignac system.
- Start the day with a hearty breakfast. In the morning, the metabolism is maximum, so the feeling of hunger in the morning most strongly reduces the metabolic rate. A hearty breakfast sets the pace for the day.
- Include in your diet foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids (fatty sea fish), vitamin B6, folic acid, chromium, iodine, calcium and fiber (vegetables and fruits) — all these substances speed up metabolism.
- Protein food. The body spends much more energy and time to digest proteins than it does to digest fats and carbohydrates.
- Eat a grapefruit or lemon every day. Both of these citrus fruits contribute to accelerated fat burning and normalization of metabolism.
- Drink green tea. It perfectly stimulates the metabolism.
- Include spices in your diet. Capsaicin is the substance that makes peppers hot, increases heart rate and raises body temperature, which leads to an acceleration of metabolic processes in the body.
- Drink water. All reactions in the body take place in the aquatic environment, so its lack slows down all metabolic processes in the body.
- Get enough sleep. Deep and long sleep promotes the production of growth hormones in the body and the renewal of brain cells. Both of these processes speed up metabolism.
- Avoid any stress. Stress leads to the release of the steroid cortisol into the blood, which slows down the body’s metabolism.
- Visit a massage parlor. Massage warms up the body, which helps to improve blood circulation, the outflow of stagnant fluid and the activation of metabolic processes in the body.
- Essential oils used during massage or in aromatherapy. They improve blood circulation and speed up metabolism.
- hot treatments. Sauna, bath, infrared bath, taking a hot bath, all these procedures accelerate the processes occurring in the body: blood circulation increases, heart rate increases, pores open and toxins are removed, the skin begins to “breathe”, which naturally not only cleanses the body, but also speeds up metabolism. .
- Spend time in nature. Fresh air, rich in oxygen, enhances metabolic processes in the body.
Author: Alexander Kuznetsov
Article protected by copyright and related rights. When using and reprinting the material, an active link to the healthy lifestyle portal hnb.com.ua is required!