The Arnold press, named after its discoverer, will allow you to develop the anterior and middle bundles of the deltoid muscle.
Schwarzenegger himself called the Arnold press «the best exercise for the deltoid muscles.» Indeed, the Arnold press, due to the wider range of motion and rotation of the hand when lifting dumbbells, involves a much larger number of muscle fibers compared to traditional presses.
And regular performance of the Arnold press will allow you to make progress in sports such as weightlifting, tennis, basketball, volleyball, gymnastics, wrestling, swimming and many others.
Arnold press technique
1. Sit on an exercise bench with a vertical back, press your back firmly against it and rest your feet on the floor. Take dumbbells in your hands, raise them to the height of your neck and turn your hands with your palms towards your torso. Keep your head straight and look straight ahead. This is the starting position.
2. Inhale and, holding your breath, gently squeeze the dumbbells up. When you reach crown level, rotate the dumbbells so that when your arms are fully extended, your palms are facing forward.
3. At the top, pause and tighten your shoulder muscles even more. After a pause, while exhaling, unfolding the brushes, slowly lower the dumbbells to their original position.
It is important:
The Arnold press must be mastered by working with small weights, since, in addition to the deltas, the “weaker” coracobrachial, supraspinatus, and infraspinatus muscles participate in weight lifting. That when working with large weights can lead to injury. In addition, the trajectory of movement in the exercise is not simple and, when performing an exercise with a large weight, it is easy to break it, which is also fraught with injury.
Raise and lower the dumbbells smoothly, jerks and accelerations in movement increase the load on the spine.
Working Muscles on the Arnold Press
- deltoid muscles (anterior and middle bundles)
- rotator cuff muscles
- upper pectoral muscles
- Seated Dumbbell Press
- Overhead press
- Bench press from behind the head
Article protected by copyright and related rights. When using and reprinting the material, an active link to the healthy lifestyle portal hnb.com.ua is required!